Built by Charles Bailey Jnr 1901
The Elsie Evans was built in Auckland by the firm of Charles Bailey Jnr, a contemporary and competitor of Logan Brothers, as the first pilot boat for the Timaru Harbour Board as a relacement for the paddle-tug Mana. Both firms were builders of classic yachts which are now much admired by overseas buyers. She was launched at yard of the boatbuilder on 31 December 1901 and was named after the wife of the Chairman of the Timaru Harbour Board at the time, William Evans.
More Information can be found here Otago Harbour Ferry Inc.